On returning from the Second World War, Charles Menendez Macleod, known locally as Charlie Barley, opened the butcher shop at Ropework Park, Matheson Road on 30th June 1947.
Charles Macleod soon became an established local butcher, where Lewis people could buy the high quality meat produced from his farm at Crobeag in South Lochs.
Following Charles untimely passing in 1967, his two young sons Iain and Charlie took over the running of the shop. 2017 marked 70 years trading for the Macleod Family and the butcher shop is now run by the by the third generation of Macleod’s – Ria, Shona and Rona.
Over the decades Charles Macleod Ltd has become widely recognised as the home of the famous Stornoway Black Pudding.
It is with gratitude and thanks to the local support and valued custom over the last 71 years, that we look forward to many more!
Follow us: Instagram: @charliebarleys1947 Facebook: @Charlie Barleys Twitter: @CharlieBarleys